Monday, June 20, 2005

If You're Happy. .

At swim lessons today, we started a new session in a new class of students. Sophie is the most advanced, going under, swimming to the wall, jumping in, etc. None of the other kids even got their hair wet.

She has a book that features a little Elmo puppet and it is basically the song ""If You're Happy and you know it, clap your hands". At swim lessons, we sing that song with a little twist - instead of "clap your hands" we sing "splash your hands. . .kick your feet. . . blow some bubbles" etc. Whenever we get to the line, "If you're happy and ya know it, then your face will surely show it" we all point to our cheeks.

She brought the Elmo book to me today, so I put my hand in the Elmo puppet, and started singing. When I got to the line "then you're face will surely show it" she pointed her little fingers to her cheeks! Now, this is something else surprising she must have picked up at swimming, like the "Itsy Bitsy Spider". We only do it once/week, and I don't sing the song at home at all, yet she picked it up.

By the way, when we sang "Itsy Bitsy Spider", she put her little fingers together, and not her index fingers either. It was one index finger and one thumb! I have to admit, when I first tried to do the little movement, it was hard for me to figure it out, how to put your thumb to finger, thumb to finger, to act out a spider walking. The only thing that would have surprised me more is if she actually did that movement. Her fine motor skills are alarmingly sharp, since she has been able to snap her fingers since the age of 7 mos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home